Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day Six: Another Filler Survey



This survey is from I Eat Trees.

What is one food you thought you’d miss when you went vegan, but don’t?
Cheese. I used to eat cheese every day. I have fond memories of being a fat kid and coming home from school every day and eating a cheese sandwich with mayonaise and a bowl of ice cream. Cheese was definitely a comfort food. I hate when people say that they couldn't go vegan because ohmygod they love cheese. I loved cheese! Cheese is delicious. But when you decide that you don't want it anymore, and you have valid reasons for sticking to your guns... it becomes pretty unappealing, because you're used to avoiding it. Sometimes I'll see some fancy pants cheeses and kind of miss it, but never enough to eat any, or even think about eating any. (I'll usually think "How can I make that cranberry cheddar vegan?") For the most part, I don't even think about cheese anymore.

What is a food or dish you wouldn’t touch as a child, but enjoy now?
There are SO many foods that I love now that I hated as a little kid. I used to hate, but now adore: kale, green olives, chickpeas, artichoke hearts, onions, mushrooms, tofu, brussel sprouts, lima beans, beets. I mean, tastes evolve and all, but I think that when I went vegan, I originally felt like there was all of this food that I "couldn't have," so I became open to trying everything that I "could" eat.

What vegan dish or food you feel like you “should” like, but don’t?
I can't get into black beans. I don't dislike them, but I don't crave them, and I don't eat them unless there's nothing else to eat.

What beverage do you consume the most of on any given day?
Water. I drink so much water.

What dish are you “famous” for making or bringing to gatherings?
Cupcakes! Cupcakes are perfect for parties, because I always feel like making them, but Chiv and I don't like having them around the house.

Do you have any self-imposed food rules (like no food touching on the plate or no nuts in sweets)?
Nope.

What’s one food or dish you tend to eat too much of when you have it in your home?
Cereal and bread. We don't get these from the grocery store every time we go shopping for the week, because I can eat an entire box of cereal in a day, and I'd rather not.

What ingredient or food do you prefer to make yourself despite it being widely available prepackaged?
Brown sugar. You just add molasses to sugar! I don't use it very often, so it doesn't make sense to use a little bit and then let it get hard and old in the cupboard.

What ingredient or food is worth spending the extra money to get “the good stuff”?
Daiya cheese. Kombucha.

Are you much of a snacker? What are your favorite snacks?
I am! Red grapes. Baby carrots and hummus. Cashews + dried hibiscus flowers. Baked potato chips with ketchup.

What are your favorite vegan pizza toppings?
Daiya cheese, olive oil + garlic sauce, portobello mushrooms, and sliced Roma tomatoes. Or Daiya, red sauce, pineapple, spinach.

What is your favorite vegetable? Fruit?
Red bell peppers. Red grapes.

What is the best salad dressing?
Annie's Naturals Organic Papaya Poppy Seed.

What is your favorite thing to put on toasted bread?
Earth Balance and raspberry preserves.

What kind of soup do you most often turn to on a chilly day or when you aren’t feeling your best?
My dad makes a really excellent vegan stew based off of this beef stew that I used to like when I was little.

What is your favorite cupcake flavor? Frosting flavor?
Lemon and lemon.

What is your favorite kind of cookie?
Chocolate chip.

What is your most-loved “weeknight meal”?
Israeli couscous + tofu + whatever veggies are around + whatever spices mix well. Or a Boca Spicy Chik'n patty chopped up in a big salad. Or pomegranate BBQ seitan + coconut rice.

What is one dish or food you enjoy, but can’t get anyone else in your household to eat?
Chiv is pretty excellent about eating anything that I whip up, but he does not like avocado (though I did get him to eat -- and like -- avocado curry), artichoke hearts, or tempeh.

How long, in total, do you spend in the kitchen on an average day?
An hour or two? More on the weekends, when I have time to test out new recipes or bake things to take to parties.

No comments: