Monday, October 3, 2011

Day Three: Smoky Pumpkin Hummus

There are already a few different recipes for pumpkin hummus floating around online, but I wanted to come up with a little something myself. I'm really pleased with this. It's basically a smoked paprika hummus, with the perfect undertones of pumpkin. The first batch I made was way too garlicy, so I've changed the recipe to only include one small clove of garlic instead of two.

On a related note, did you know that one shot of vodka gets rid of garlic breath? Even really, really bad garlic breath? I didn't believe it until I tried it (after tasting the original, 2 clove version of this recipe) and immediately my terrible garlic breath was gone. Vodka is magic.

Smoky Pumpkin Hummus
Ingredients:
1 can of garbanzo beans
1/2 cup pumpkin
1 TB lemon juice
2 TB olive oil
2 TB tahini
1 clove garlic, minced
1 TB smoked paprika
Sea salt to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)

Directions:
1. Drain and rinse garbanzo beans, then pop them into your food processor along with the pumpkin, lemon juice, olive oil, and tahini.
2. Mince your garlic. If you have a garlic press, awesome. If not, you don't even necessarily have to mince the garlic -- just peel it and cut it up into smaller pieces to make sure that it incorporates well.
3. Put your garlic and your smoked paprika into the food processor and mix until the hummus is smooth. If it's a little chunky, add a tiny bit of warm water to it and blend until you get the consistency you like.

I've been eating this on little wheat thins type crackers, but I bet this would be banging with some baby carrots or on some bagels.

xoxo Jenni

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Vodka, is there anything it can't do?

x said...

Wow, I had no idea vodka could take away garlic breath, it's magic!

And I don't love pumpkin but I do like the idea of adding it to hummus!

TuxedoCat said...

I love pumpkin and hummus, so this recipe seems amazing! I also love that you tip at least 20%. I reference tipping in my "About" section on my own blog (referencing "My Blue Heaven" that is). Happy Mofoing!