Monday, October 12, 2009

Coffee Cakelings



I think that sometimes one of the best parts of being vegan is revisiting food memories that you had long ago, but had forgotten about. I had no idea how comforting the feeling of dunking a piece of New York style coffee cake into a mug of tea was until this afternoon. When I was a little thing, I used to go over to my grandma's house and have a mug of black tea with milk (no sugar) and pick the crumbs off of the Entenmann's crumb cake she'd buy whenever she knew she was having people over for tea.

The other day, I was all set to try out the coffee cake recipe from Vegan Brunch until I realized that I didn't have a pan to bake it in. Because I know that cupcakes are the solution to everything, I poured the cake batter into cupcake liners and had baby coffee cakes. Success! And they tasted even better the next day. Instead of making the plain coffee cake recipe, I added a mashed banana to the wet ingredients and after I poured the batter into the cupcake liners, I put some chocolate chips and crushed-up walnuts on top before added the layer of crumbs.

Perfect for dunking in tea. :)

No comments: