Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Vegan Lavender Cream-Filled Cupcakes with Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting

I have a thing for weird, sugary floral flavors. I could eat rosewater frosting straight out of my stand mixer bowl and be okay with the tummy ache it would surely bring. When I was little, I used to write poems about lavender milkshakes. A few years ago, I bumped into a recipe on Chockylit's Cupcake Blog for lavender cream filled cupcakes with citrus cream cheese frosting. It sounded absolutely amazing, as it combined some of my favorite things: 1) Cupcakes 2) Cream cheese frosting 3) Citrus frosting 4) Flowers you can eat.

I've been daydreaming about this recipe since I first laid eyes on it. Tonight, I veganized it. I made the golden vanilla cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, and instead of using heavy cream for the lavender whipped cream, I made coconut whipped cream from the recipe that Hannah Kaminsky posted a few months ago (found here).

They turned out okay! I used way too much sugar, and they were very messy because I have no patience and didn't let everything chill out for awhile before putting everything together. It was like eating a delicious, perfumed pile of sugar, cake, and milk.

I don't have any photographic evidence because me and my camera got into a fight, and I'm not talking to him until he says he's sorry.

No comments: