Sunday, September 27, 2009

Daydreaming about Veganmofo III


Guys! Veganmofo is going to be here in a few days! I've been scribbling down list after list of entries that I want to make, and I've been driving all of my friends crazy by excitedly shouting "Veganmofo!" during lulls in our conversations. I've been daydreaming about all of the new recipes that I'm going to try out, and about taking photographs of all of the local haunts where I can get a vegan sweet potato muffin and a vegan chicken salad sandwich when I'm too lazy or sleepy to cook.

For more info on Veganmofo, check out Isa's entry here. If you're interested in seeing the huge list of people participating, please check out Kittee's entry here.

Veganmofo also comes at a great time this year, because I'm trying to eat better - I've been eating a lot of carbs and sweets because it's quick and easy to fill yourself up that way. Also, I feel as though I should note that this makes it quick and easy for you to get too big for your pants. So, I'm trying to eat more vegetables and make soups that have lots of yummy vegetables in them and maybe a few stray soba noodles or something floating around - not like, piles of pasta swimming in Earth Balance with some garlic and nutritional yeast.

I first learned about Veganmofo last year from my friend Stephanie Anne. I had just gone vegan in September 2008, and didn't feel like I was ready to participate that year. I was still getting the hang of things - learning how to feel full on a tight budget and learning what happens to your body when you eat too much soy (Note: It is not fun, nor is it pretty). So mostly I just drooled over Stephanie's vegan food blog and daydreamed about having a stocked pantry and the money for a fridge full of fresh vegetables, all while eating piles of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

I feel like I've grown up a lot this year. I have a full spice cabinet, I'm not afraid of my stand mixer, I realize that I can eat enough to feel full without spending a million dollars on store-bought fake meats or filling my belly with PB&J sandwiches, I've made some pretty complex recipes as well as my own sausages, and... I don't know. I'm just really excited about participating in this year's Veganmofo. Stay tuned, and all of that jazz.

Yay! Confetti!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to see what you cook up!
Also, isn't making your own vegan sausages really exciting? I'm always thrilled. It's like magic! Or maybe I'm a dork. Still! Sausages! <3